Monday, March 17, 2008

Saturation Point Hit

OK folks - I have hit, no, EXCEEDED, my tolerance of lack of social skills and nice nice.

When one offers up "I'LL LET YOU KNOW". F-ing follow through. I don't care if you're waiting for a better offer to come along. I don't care if you don't know if you want to do that or not. I don't care if you just can't decide. I don't even care if you have commitment issues. I don't care if you have a hard time choosing between chocolate or strawberry. I don't care if you think "yes" or if you think "no" will hurt my feelings.

If you choose to let 'I'LL LET YOU KNOW" escape your lips or your fingertips FOLLOW THROUGH.

It is a little relay. I ask you, you respond. Yes. No. I'll Let you know. You can stop the relay with a finite response or continue it forward with the promise of a future response. If you continue it forward the baton is IN YOUR HAND.

It is YOU who, who with the response "I'LL LET YOU NOW" have OFFERED a commitment. The commitment of a response.

And I say this not because someone made a mistake. Mistakes happen. I say this because to many this is a habit and it is a bad one and it erodes trust and respect and all of the things that come with honesty and integrity and friendship. It is inconsiderate. And....and....and...it pisses me off. And....sometimes hurts my feelings. And sometimes it means I have bought things to give to you or food to serve to you. Or maybe was looking forward to spending time with you. At the point that I have invited you I have made an investment in you...emotional, monetary, time, whatever.

Deep breath.

To put it much more eloquently: When you have been extended an invitation and have responded with "I'll let you know", please be kind enough to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some people can be rude. I know from experience and of mastering the art. If ya need to talk you know where I am.