Sunday, January 09, 2011

I've Joined A Walking Group

In the States I always had to limit my hikes to walks or find areas that posed little risk or find friends who could hike with me.

With busy Mormon lives, finding women with the inclination or time to hike was a rarity, but a blessing when it happened. Those chickies, when they do hike TAKE IT ON.

Anually, I headed to Washington to hike with my daughter. A most blessed event every year. She hikes alone in the Washington mountains and forests. It scares me to death, but I understand.

And then there's Spain. My safe, familiar, invigorating, faith restoring refuge. But...I don't want to waste all my England experience there. Not that it is a waste, but there's more to see.

My next big hike will most likely be Hadrian's Wall. This will take a week. I've sent an inquiry to my "cousin" to see if she cares to join me. If not....I'll do it myself.

And then there's the walking group I found here. All over the UK and very active in my county (equivalent to "state). Easy to get to by train to join other area's groups. There hikes every weekend, short one on Saturday, long ones on Sunday. There are weekday hikes, should I choose a day off to join.

I now get to see the countryside, the cities, the places I'm timid to go. On foot, with people. Perfect.

My boss, when he hired me here, made me promise to bring my gear. He said this part of the world was designed for me. He's right. So glad he did.

I'm off today to walk to the next town. It's chilly and sunny and a perfect day to "practice".

Namaste!

1 comment:

Laura M. Holmes said...

Mom, I am so happy for you. Walking is a vacation for the body and soul. I don't do enough of it. Keep me in the loop on your experiences!! Love Laura