Saturday, February 27, 2010

Haggis, Neeps and Tatties

I did it today....I had haggis. I had it in a puff pastry. Sarah said I needed to get it with the neeps and tatties too. That would be with turnips and potatoes. I liked it. Hopefully, I'll get to have it again before I leave.

I'm loving the Scottish breakfasts. The roasted tomatoes and mushrooms are incredible. I love the porridge too.

The snow this week closed the tracks between Inverness and Edinburgh. I'd planned on not going as early as last night out of fear of more snow and not getting back here on time for Monday's go live. Checked the status this morning and found it cancelled. Went to the train station for a refund and the clerk was kind enough to tell me I could still get there going partially by bus and partially by train. Yeah and it would have been nearly dark by the time I got there, with most everything closing down and over half of everything else not open tomorrow or opening three hours before I had to leave. I didn't bite. I got on line and it says because I pre-ordered my ticket, which was recommended, I'm not entitled to a refund. I hope they'll refund. Then at least I can hopefully plan to go next weekend.

Mother's Day is celebrated March 14 here. I find it kind of odd that one of the most prevelent presents I'm seeing is decorated, pink, rubber cleaning gloves. Happy Mother's Day Mum - get on with your cleaning now!

I have to send my work receipts back home each week which usually requires a brief wait in the queue in the Post Office. Like the U.S. they post packages and provide passport services. Additionally, they offer no service fee currency exchanges, auto taxs payments, mortgage loans, auto insurance and cellular phone services.

I collect lapel pins of the places I have visited. They are small and easy to travel with and easy to display. Today, while in a shop, trying to decide what my Scottish one would be, I asked the sales clerk if I should pick an intricate heart with a crown on it or one a celtic weave. She said the heart one and told me the legend behind it is beautiful. She, in her mid to late sixties, told me to Google it's meaning and wrote it on the back for me. It is a Luckenbooth. I'm glad she told me about it. I love it!

I shopped a bit today...new hiking boots and a goat herder's hat.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Scotrail is returning my money. I just needed to drop them and email. Yay!