Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Another Pilgrimage...... :)

This past Sunday there was a posting in the parish's newsletter about a group going to Lourdes. There were 10 places remaining. I called on Monday and captured the last remaining spot. The price was listed in Euros and seemed very reasonable. When I did the math it was even better in pounds.

I've always wanted to go to Lourdes. I think the story is a beautiful one. I thought about walking from there to St. Jean Pied de Port or Roncevalles or from Paris to Lourdes. I hadn't researched it much and I didn't know how I'd fill a week of a trip. It was one of those "I will when the time is right". Apparently that time is now.

I've been to Fatima and was greatly moved. The skepticism going in and the resulting marvel of the holiness that eminates from the area is indescribable. Add my pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostella and I find myself seeking the "internal fire" that ignites beginning when the bookings are done and my feet hit the ground to start the journey.

This one will take us to St. Bernadette's grave, another holy place in the Pyrenees, and then on to Lourdes. A ferry to France, coaches, and a flight home. All new experiences. All familiar ones too. 

As agnostic and athiestistic the United Kingdom is, it is equally fervent about it's Catholicism and Church of Englandism (don't know the proper term). My faith has found a dynamic place to thrive. I am looking forward to traveling with a bunch of Catholics to a place that is dear to all of us.

And as their token, unreserved American, I'm sure I can get a rousing chorus going with "The Wheels on The Bus".  Perhaps  with slightly different rendition: "The wheels on the bus go to Lourdes, go to Lourdes, go to Lourdes, the wheels on the bus go to Lourdes all through France! The people on the bus hope for miracles, hope for miracles......."

No comments: