Sunday, November 05, 2006

Church Politics

I was recently trained on the tasks and responsibilities for being a Eucharistic Minister at my parish. Today was my "first day on the job". I gleefully, if not nervously, reported for duty. Nervous for two reasons: 1) first day on the job 2) I read in the paper the EM's could no longer clean the Cups after Mass. When I was trained for my role, we were very carefully shown how (and why) to do the preparation and clean up. Our priest, while a rebellious spirit, is very strict on proper protocols to keep Holy things holy.

Posted on the setup area was the newspaper article and a note that until further notice (clarification and mud wrestling I think it meant) we weren't going to have wine with communion. Our priest was in the office and was apologetic, but holding out. I was laid off. But......we had a visiting priest who wanted us to continue with both and he would take care of the clean up. I was back on the job. Our parish priest didn't want the confusion and possible picking of masses based on the Communion components being offered. I was laid off again.

The visiting priest wanted another EM for the Bread. Back on the job with a promotion. A promotion without, "eeek", training. I didn't know how to bless the babies, or if I should, but I did, thinking my daily mantra: If He leads you to it, He'll lead you through it. My heart was in the right place so I know that my ministering was valid - given the situation.

It has been probably a decade since I helped out with Mass. I've wondered away from my faith and back again. Wash and repeat. But whenever I'm "gone" I feel empty and whenever I'm involved I feel "complete". Today, I felt honored, and warm and filled with the Holy Spirit.

To our dear Pope: I know the quest to know truly if lay people can be "proper" ministers to the people weighs on your mind and heart. I can't help but think that if we look back - with the exception of Christ, the history of our Faith (and all the variations which followed) clear back through our Jewish roots, has been grown, nutured, ministered, and preached by lay people. We are the torches which pass the fire to light the hearts which light the world. We are the hands that extend your healing when your arms can't reach quite wide enough. We don't want to just be mere recipients the Holy Spirit, but conduits. Please allow us to serve and continue to be of service in all things Holy.

No comments: