Sunday, June 25, 2006

Bonneville Shoreline Trail - Provo

Once again, I fell short of the "whole route". This time though, it was because I read about the trail post-hike. I figure now that I was half a mile or mile from the end, now that I know there was an "end" to this section. And actually, I could see the where I think the end was - because I really wanted to keep going and not stop - but I figured next time I'd start at one of the midpoints and then proceed further. I usually end up dog tired because after I go as far as I can, I still have to get back to the beginning. Enough about the shouldacouldawouldas.


http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/bonsh-pr.htm

This was a fabulous trek! I took poles, but didn't need to. There was a decent amount of wildlife: a hawk flew a few feet above my head into the canyon, a lizzard, ground squirrels, something waited me out in the bushes (a delicate walker - I'm thinking a deer). A stream to cross.

Two specatular views presented themselves: The view of the canyon highway between Provo and heading towards Sundance and Provo itself with Utah Lake behind it. The trail was well maintained and the grade was great for a moderate stroll.

From one of the open areas on my path I could see a trail/area that I've been wanting to explore, but didn't have a good map to see where it would take me. And now I know that I definitely want to cross the road and explore the Provo section of the Great Western Trail.

The neat thing about hiking is you can knock off a 10-12 mile hike by noon if you just "bother" to get out of bed.

No comments: