Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Missy Missy Moo Moo

Michief died this morning.

My daughter came out to the car as I was leaving saying she was howling and heaving. Two heaves later the light left her eyes. Aparently she had suffered a heart attack.

Missy was the "daughter" of (very old) LapTop who still graces our household. Her "son", Destiny, a 22 lb yellow cat, lives with us too. Missy had the softest fur, like silk. She was a thief - nightly taking shoes, soft toys, my wallet, and who knows what and patiently carrying them up the stairs howling all the while. She wasn't stealthy - we always knew what she was up to. All of my grandson's soft toys have teeth marks from her nightly ventures.

I have never cried so hard over a pet. You see, Missy took my happy scratches on the head when things were good, shared many a movie with me and many, many times allowed me to bury my head in her fur in sorrow. She'd just nestle closer and let my heart empty onto her. She took on tears no one else knew I'd shed. She was as gentle as she was soft.

At 7:15 this morning I had to start calling vets. It's amazing how cold and impersonal the messages are in these places - most gave emergency services references and stated they opened at 9:00. I found one that opened at 7:30. When I called the technician was very kind and explained the various services available. When I went in she looked sad too. She asked me all about Missy and her eyes welled up. She handed me tissues and didn't try to rush me. I spent a lot of time holding Missy and felt I left her in good, loving arms.

All that and I was still the first one into the office - go figure.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Teri, I'm so sorry about the loss of your kitty.

Big hugs to you, sweetie.

Jules