Sunday, August 20, 2006

Timpanogos!

We made it to the top of Timpanogos via Timpanooke Trail on Saturday.

Stats:
Altitude @ trailhead: 7260 ft., altitude @ top 11,750 ft! Total miles 18. Total time 13 hours. (A little while on the saddle and a little while at the top!)

Timponogas 2006
Aug 19, 2006 - 12 Photos


This was the longest hike I've ever done. I can't say it is the toughest as last year (even though we didn't make it to the top) and Mt. St. Helens seemed tougher. I trained harder this year - hiking (not walking) every weekend since the end of April.

I'd like to do Mt. St. Helens again just to see if my intimidation factor has been lowered. And if it has I want to see the top. With it coughing around - that isn't likely for awhile.

Timpanogos is the 2nd highest peak in Utah, only outdone by Mt. Nebo to the South.

A grateful and heartfelt "thank you" to Pat for all the hikes we've done this year and the nearly two decade friendship. I was (not really) perfectly contented to stay on the Saddle and call it good. The top, after so many hours of hiking, such a barren landscape, and all those teeny tiny stick figures appearing to be scaling straight up the side of the mountain, made me want to call "uncle". His "well I'm going up without you then" got me going.

So at 46 years old, I've done something more and harder and better than I've ever done before....once again. I'm so very very blessed.

No comments: