Sunday, April 10, 2011

Greatness and Gratitude

This last week was a challenge of the best kind. Work was busy, all cylinders seemed to fire and the end of the week was a crescendo where the silence at the end contributed as much as he cacophony leading to it.

I was frantic that I wasn't getting to my home evening tasks. Work was eating away at my home time, like it so often did in the past. The feeling was familiar, but I didn't want it. I wanted a leisurely stroll in my preparation for leaving. Come Friday night it all came together. Work done, home tasks minimised and under control.

Friday evening I sat on the balcony, wine glass in hand, read a magazine and experienced the beautiful weather and departing sun. Then with a movie on the tube, plucked off taks.

Saturday, I, with all the mellowness of a glam girl, shopped for some clothes that fit and finished my errands. I ate an appetiser lunch of a fig, goat cheese and prosciutto appetiser and a pinot grigio. The tiny Italian restaurant had outdoor seating. Again, soaking in the beautiful spring day.

Because of the impending weather being rumoured to be so nice and then dipping slightly in planned temperatures, my packing was a bit of a tempest in a teapot frolic. Clothes for three seasons everywhere! Down to some Spring picks with a tiny winter backup (jumper, hat, gloves) and a dose of summer for those "own time" moments when I can escape the group and head out into the countryside.

Heading to Southend Victoria today. Beach and solitude. A great start to a pilgrimage. Probably dinner with my morning taxi partner, Joe. I'm anxious to meet him. He was one of the people selected to give a prayer at Westminster Cathedral  Mass with the Pope. Holiness by association!

I know this next week will challenge me. I'm so used to doing things on my own and not with a coach load of faithful and infirm. I will be sharing a room with a stranger. I've done this before, but not paired with someone for a whole trip. I have a timed itinerary - gulp. Also, lunch and dinner won't start until the last person shows up. I'm used to eathing when the tummy growls.  Thank GOD there will be some blocks of free time. I will be able to wander about the parts in my own way. My faith is quite private while this trip is all about the Hail Mary's (and I'm not talking American football). And the coach will have a toilet, we're asked not to use it, unless an emergency (hygiene reasons). I'm contented with a small patch of bushes, will you pull over please?

Above is not to complain. I know they will challenge my psyche. I want to be ready with grace humor, laughter,  and a helping hand and create prayerful and graceful week for myself and others. Isn't that what every pilgrimage and experience has done to me? Changed my reflection?

May the peace and joy of our Blessed Mother fill my heart and yours with joy, laughter and light.

No comments: