Monday, May 29, 2006

Eeeewwwww!

I went to the office today to drop off some things for the breakfast party tomorrow. The office park area that I work in has ponds and streams and ducks. Right now there are lots of ducks. And lots and lots and lots of baby ducks.

As I turn into the driveway I see a lone yellow teeny weenie baby duck. He's peeping to beat the band.

I do my tasks inside, call my daughter and ask if she really wants the duck she's been talking about for a month. Yes! I said if he was still out there by himself and I could catch him without a swim, I'd bring him home.

As I'm leaving and I still hear Mr. Squawker. I'm really starting to feel guilty about duck-napping. But...the being on one side of my shoulder says if it is still there and in distress then I'm doing the right thing. The other side of course is saying "no don't".

I get to the edge of the driveway and get out of my car. I'm still hearing peeping, but not so much. I make a chirping sound and the grass moves. I look and there he is wrapped up in the long grass. I reach for him and he struggles, but I can see that he's pretty stuck, kind of laying sideways. The grass is that sticky grass that just seems to grab fluffly clothes. So I figure he's fluffy, etc.

Well being superhero I wrap my hand around him and pull figuring I'd just rip the grass. Out he comes with some resistance and so does the %@#*$(!% SNAKE that is attached to him.

Aaaaaaaggggggguuuuuuuhhhhhhh!

He was still alive when I "rescued" him. "Jack" died later in the evening.

So much for being a superhero today. I can hardly wait to see what that event does to my subconscious.

No comments: