Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sylvan Lake Trail


Sylvan Lake Trail skirts the entire lake. I took this hike after work one day. It was an easy one and didn't require hiking poles and allowed me pretty much to zone out. I'd packed my dinner (hummus, wheat tortillas, blackberries), but there really wasn't a place to stop where I wouldn't be dinner to the newly hatched mosquitos. Nearing evening and being between the hills and the lake, I could hear limbs breaking up the hill. I'm sure it was about time for the deer to come down for their evening cocktails. I didn't wish to surprise or be surprised so I ended up eating in the Beast (the rental company gave me, ME, a Trail Blazer).

I loved this curvy tree. I'm sure there's an interesting story to tell as to how it grew that way.

Sylvan Lake is about 15 miles from Eagle. I enjoyed my stay in Eagle. It allowed me to get to work quickly (west) and have good access to Vail (east). I walked to/through town most mornings and evenings. I even managed to make an evening service at St. Mary's.

I grew up in Colorado. I'm in Utah now, a stone's throw from the hills. I love being here - but the mountains just aren't the same as Colorado's. John Denver captured it a it a long, long time ago.

The week in Vail was great. I managed to pull off three fabulous hikes. It felt more like vacation than work. Thank you Colorado!

No comments: