Sunday, October 15, 2006

Learning to Quilt

My friend Jules quilts. She makes beautiful quilts for all her family members and made one for me too. (Blogged it). Recently, while I was at her house she showed me one she's started using the cathedral pattern. It is all hand stitched. ALL OF IT. Jules' looked like stained glass...bright colors encased in black.

My friend Randi knew of the pattern - she's doing one with a muslin background. She does a contrasting blanket stitch around her window panes.



I did this sample in brown - just from quilter quarters. The top center (left in picture) pieces show how it comes together - the tan center is loose and will have the edges pulled around it. The top space I've left open to show what the window panes are covering.

My first quilt is for my oldest daughter. It will have a maroon background.

I'm having fun working on it. The youngest daughter, who just moved out, calls me and tells me the tales of her new job. I sew and listen and understand how quilting became a part of our history and an artform.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. I can see the depth of it in the photo. That's great!! Way to go mom!! Thank you.

Jules said...

That looks fantastic Teri! I love it.

Jules