Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Mom

Today was the anniversary of my mother dying. It was 14 years go. Even though I'm all grown up (and was then too), I still feel orphaned at times.

I have a strong set of friends. The friendships go back to junior high, high school, past jobs, and many from my present job.

I didn't really focus on Mom's death this year. My friends need me more now than my sad memories need my attention. We have weddings to plan, hearts to heal, and happiness to sprinkle.

One online buddy messaged me today asking how I was. I hadn't even thought about Mom's death - I was just puttering through another "normal" day. He asked me if I was always happy - to him, I seemed so. I said "no", not always. I went on to explain I was given a fabulous set of coping skills and marching orders with regards to living my life......by my mother.

Thank you Mom for unfailingly loving me. Thank you for tenaciously defending me on all grounds always. Thank you for teaching me how to love despite the risks. My only wish - that you'd taught me how to cook.

I love you still every single day. And I miss you deeply. You don't know how much, right now, I'd love to be having coffee with you.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Oddly enough I found myself thinking of my Dad today too. He died in October of '92, so it wasn't long before your Mom. I had forgotten they had died so close together in time.

I think it's a tribute that we miss them and remember them. I know your Mom would be so very proud of you, even if you can't cook. ;)

Hugs to you,

Jules

Teri said...

Thanks Jules - you always know just the right thing to say!