Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Waif

The Waif was the coffee barista Friday night. I had some shopping and cooking to do and I wanted a real cup of coffee despite the fact that it was after 7pm.

He's a skinny little pup, Seattle Grunge type. He has big dreams: He wants to paint or write. (There's a third, but I can't remember it). So for now he works at Starbucks and then he will move to LA to make more money and then he wants to wander Europe to find his dream in this world. I can envision him serving at the new Starbucks being built in the Louvre. I encourage his dreams, even if only two come true, he's far luckier than most I know. I learned to dream like this and for it I've become very fortunate in having more than not come true.

He told me he just turned 21 the other day. He and some friends had gone for dinner and bought a bottle of wine. I asked if he liked it and he said "it wasn't really good". He named the "brand"/Vineyard and said it was a "chanti". I told him that actually he'd tried a very good name and it was a Chianti (kianti). I told him it took awhile to appreciate wines.

Then he said the sweetest thing. He wanted to make a LOT of money so he could take me to France with him. WHY?!?! "So I have someone to show me what I really need to see there." I told him it wouldn't take much to get me there (cash not being the point). So he offered an expensive dinner in Paris (expensive because of the wine). I smiled and said - wine is cheaper than buying water in France. He smiled again.

He'll move on to being a permanent bohemian or respected artist or an office manager - he may or may not ever make it to Europe. Who knows? What he he doesn't realize how his comment touched me. I have crossed a milestone into wisdom and someone sought it out.

No comments: