Saturday, May 10, 2008

Recession Proof Your Business

How? Listen.

Listen to your customers.

Here are some things businesses have done and haven't done that have impacted my personal shopping habits. I make a good living, but not everyone has the same freedoms I do. So take what I'm noting here and think how it might apply in more constrictive scenarios.

Bed, Bath and Beyond. They send me coupons ALL the time. I save them. They expire. I still save them. The coupons have expiration dates but......they will honor them no matter what date you try to use them. They will take more than one per visit - up to five. They will apply the coupons to the items that will save you the most. Expired, multiple, caring. I shop for 99% of my kitchen items there. I tell them every time I visit - how much I appreciate this service. Chef Kent apparently feels the same as he plugged them frequently last week.

Bath and Body Shop. I found out today they will allow usage three days before the start date (at least - I don't know about the end date) on the discount cards they send out. Before today, a few times, I've received the card in the mail, tucked it into my purse, headed out for my "shopping day" and found I was too early. Usually the card has drawn me in so sometimes I leave without buying anything. And today I had a freebie card. I had selected something complementary to complete a set, but they were out of the freebie. Before I was even told of the outage the clerk told me she'd substituted the other item already.

At the mall, for BABS, I went past a kiosk that has attracted my attention for while. I finally asked about the costs for their items and really took a look at what they had to offer. The clerk was friendly and attentive - not like the usual type who are busy texting and doing their scriptures or schoolwork. She told me about her products, the packages and additional things I could get if Iwanted to. She handed me a brochure and said I could get the product there or on line. And then she shut up. I'd been interested, but it wasn't my goal for today. But what she'd told me was good. I stared circling the kiosk and my "packages" came together. I'd decided to buy today. And then...she mentioned two more accessories she wanted me to know were available if I had a preference. Sure enough....she'd hit the mark on that one....based on what I had with me today. Interest, information, choices, silence, service = sale.

The other kitchen store I use now and again manages to fry my bucket every time. The staff is gossipy. Whenever I'm in the store they're talking loudly about another customer that's been there and what their "uniqueness" was. Today, I'd made a special trip for a set of single serving spring form pans I knew they carried. I haven't seen them offered at BBAB. The store was out of stock. After breaking up a gossip fest in asking about them I was told that a man had come in recently, purchased them all and wanted more. (OK, and that interests/benefits ME how?) I asked if they were able to order more. "Probably we did". I asked if I could leave my name and number to have them call when/if they came in. I was told it was probably just better if I just stopped in and checked now and again. I had an armload of stuff (that I wasn't going to get my 20% off - BBAB). I debated in putting it all back. There were some things that I knew I wouldn't get nearby without going to SLC for them so I went ahead and headed up to the counter. There I found the owner. She asked if I'd found everything, said "no" and added that I wish I could leave my number so they could just let me know when they came in. She took it. Let's see if she does. At $3.50 a gallon for gas or 2 hours of walking I'm NOT going to "check in". And I shouldn't have to call them when I've offered them my business. They have a phone, they have people obviously with time on their hands to do it. My loyalties are with BBAB.

As I went out the door this morning I called out to my daughter...."See ya baby, I'm off to stimulate the economy". Her response: "Gonna buy gasoline 'eh?"

1 comment:

Mama Durf said...

Gotta get you to the Kitchen Engine in Spokane. I was looking for a ravioli pan around Christmas time...looked all over online and none of the major stores had one like I was looking for. I emailed the store asking if they carried them and the owner responded and said (since I said I didn't get to Spokane often in winter because of the roads) he would deliver it to my house!!! Okay, so he lives in Post Falls, but talk about customer service!!! http://www.thekitchenengine.com/