Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Shoe Shine Man

This is a story a co-worker shared with me. It actually happened to him. I thought it was beautiful, not only ofthe gentleman doing the shoes, but for my co-worker for being thoughtful enough to share it with all of us.


True story...not just one of those forwarded along emails...


I had the most refreshing experience today (Sept 2, 2009) at the DFW airport. I decided to have my shoes shined while I waited for my flight to Atlanta. The graying black man with the gentle smile asked me how I was doing.


I said I was pretty good.


He asked, not great?


Who's really great these days?, I asked.


You’re alive? Yes. That's great. You have a family that loves you? Yes. That's great. You have a job? Yes, and very thankful too. That's great. You're batting three for three. Sounds like you are great to me. I get so many people in this chair that say "good, so far" like they are ready for something bad to happen. I ask them those three questions and they change their minds.

I get up every morning, look in the mirror and thank the Lord that I get to experience another great day. I am great and can't wait to see how it will get better today. You were fortunate to be born in a country where your worst day is better than many people's best day of their entire lives. And on it went....

We proceeded to have a conversation that brightened my day. He was a religious man and shared with me a couple of anecdotes that he has told his church, and one that he couldn't. :-) They made me chuckle, but his message was clear. He shines shoes in an airport, in an economy that has many of us struggling and worried for ourselves and our children, yet his faith, his family, and just getting out of bed in the morning makes him GREAT!

It made me take stock in my family, my friends, and myself. I shared with him that I would be celebrating my 27th anniversary with Gina on Friday. That's great, he said...I just celebrated my 31st.

"SO what's the point?" you may think...the shoe-shine man made my day and I just want to pay it forward with his story. I am not good at keeping resolutions, and it’s not the New Year, but my ‘Sept. 2nd” resolution is to remember I am doing GREAT every day and to try to make each day better. I am thankful to have the opportunity to be GREAT and I hope this story makes you feel GREAT. It sure did for me.

No comments: