Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life

27 years ago today, I gave birth to my youngest daughter.

A few months prior to that, during a viscious row with her father, I was kicked in the stomach amongst other things. I remember wondering if I would lose (the baby) her. I remember wondering if it wouldn't just be better if I did. I didn't know if she'd been injured and I truly wondered how horrible it would be for a child to face that kind of life.

I survived the night without any problems. Bless the sweet things God gives us to protect our children. It is more than just a nine month cushy ride inside our wombs, it is a resolve as tough as steel.

Shortly after she was born I'd had enough. The fights did not abate. I had two lovely little girls. I had never been exposed to a life like that and by damned I was not going to carry the message that it was acceptable to be treated that way. Nor was I going to let my girls think that they had to be a victim of their choices. I loved their father but would not accept the violence.

I left.

I no longer harbor resentment. I know we had massive communication issues. I'm grateful that there was no harm to my baby. She and her sister are joys in my life.

I'm forever grateful to one person that held the candle to light my way out. I love you and always will for that and so many other things.

No comments: