Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday

I was privileged enough to arrive at Westminster Cathedral today just as Mass was starting. I stayed. It was magnificent. The all male choir was heavenly, the setting divine. I didn't take pictures, although one could when services were not being held. I have never seen such a beautiful church and its glory called out to my soul. I'm sure I will go back again and again.

I then wandered on up to Westminster Abbey. I was going to abandon the tour today because the queue seemed long and it was close to the "last call". But actually it was open later and I had plenty of time. I love the fact that Europe provides audio tours. This one was free of charge. Such a magnificent place. Kings and Queens and actors and authors all buried there. Just magnificent.

Mary the Queen of Scots is buried there. After being in Edinburgh and learning of her history there, it it was like a bow being tied. And the coronation chair also has ties to the stone I saw in Edinburgh.

I saw the London Eye and will eventually ride it. It was so rainy today that I just couldn't see the value. I'd rather spend an hour in the queue on a nice day, than to have a shorter wait on a crummy day.

I saw the outside of Parliment and Big Ben! Then I walked to the Palace via St. James Gardens. I plan to go to the Palace tomorrow and watch the changing of the guards.

I bought some magnificent wine and cheese tonight in Victoria Station. Had a lovely dinner in my room. A very nice 2007 Bordeaux, Dulong. Not to heavy, sweet or dry. Rich, but not too leggy either.

I haven't blogged much. I'm so overwhelmed, still, by this opportunity. It's hard to write about it publically. I have done some great journaling though.

No comments: