Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Stewart Falls

This hike was recommended to me by a friend last year. I attempted to do it from Sundance then, but it was too early in the season and the trail still had a good deal of snow on it. This year I approached it a couple of months later and from the Aspen Grove route.

One of my friends says, "Utah is the worst state for trailhead markers". This trail was no exception. The first trail marker was half way to the destination. Fortunately there was a nice Park Ranger in the lot when I headed out and he pointed out the trailhead.

This was a nice 5-6 mile round trip hike. (Yes!! I did 18 miles this weekend).

The trail was forested and had great mountain peak views. The waterfalls were spectacular. The stream was shallow enough that I could get close to the falls (short of taking a full on shower) and enjoy the coolness of the spray.

This picture doesn't do it justice. I had to go down stream quite a ways to take in the whole view. Standing right next to the spray at the very bottom (there are people in the picture) was so refreshing and the vegetation behind and to the side of the falls was very, very lush. The sky was electric blue. I could only get a teeny patch in the picture or lose the bottom of the falls.

It was a busy day at the Falls - Pioneer Day. I saw probably 30 people up there.

No comments: