Friday, December 22, 2006

Chance Encounter Deux

I think it was BB (before blogging) that I, by chance, ran into a former employee, in Times Square. The chances of being in the same place (Times Square of all places), at the same time and recognizing each other was astronomical.

Fast forward to today.

Starbucks.

Suited man in line in front of me while ordering coffee. "Hi." Response: "Hi." Waiting for coffee. "Hi" again. OK this guys wants conversation. "Ready for Christmas?". "Not really." Laugh, "Me neither." He proceeded to tell me he was heading up to the NW. Now that incites conversation for me. Seattle? Oregon? Etc. I said I'd lived there for 13 years. He rattled off familiar Seattle suburbs to me. Then he asked what brought me here. "Work". "What do you do?". I responded with my usual generic-ism: a software company in....and I named the town, which I normally do not, but being in the same county, it made sense. He said he knew the company.

I work for such a niche software company that for someone to know it, you have to be in the newspaper industry. He was just hired as publisher of one our local newspapers. Knowing that, I told him some of my newspaper genealogy. He worked for the NW paper corp that I had. And he had just come from a corporation that my company had just taken live.

He later updated me about two former co-workers from Seattle.

How cool is that?

Such a small world.

No comments: