Monday, September 08, 2008

Don't Make It Your Last

More on the South.

If I ever decide to have a "mid-life crisis" I'm sure I will flee to the South.

Working nights is dangerous for me - it leaves me to wander the city in the morning and SHOP! Every store I visited today asked me where I was from (lack of drawl perhaps?). Many asked if it was my first visit and the sweet southern response of "don't make it your last now y'hear?".

I found the local "coffee shop" and learned about the local "icon".

One shopkeeper of an outdoor's store, responding to my queries as to how close I was to the AT (Appalachian Trail) ,gave me a map to an"on spot" nearby AND a brochure about a local woman who has organized a group for women who do parts of the AT every year. The leader has through-hiked (all 2000 miles in a shot) it. At that store I finally found a Life is Good shirt that fits and fits..... A pair of hiking boots, a back pack: "Action Items". YES!

I had BBQ today, southern style. Thinking about Carolina style tomorrow and, and, and.....found a restaurant featuring fried green tomatoes. A must.

A cooking store found me too. I got some additional wooden utensil pieces to match those I purchased in Sonoma last year. I love cooking with them.

I spent nearly an hour in a REAL bookstore. the kind where all the shelves are NOT filled with 10 copies of each book. They are displayed so they can be browsed and pondered - inviting one to read something other than what they came looking for.

A farmers market with sweet cured ham and vegetables (some of which I'm not familiar with) lines a nearby street each day.

I noted some stores and galleries I will plan to visit in the morning.

The heat and humidity are rising and I feel I must take my sweet tea and visit that sweet little 'ole chair on the porch before I embrace my real job for the day.

Ya'll come back now y'hear!

No comments: