Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Different Place, Different Pace

Last night I was delayed at the office whilst waiting for a ride. I worked on some home office items and did what I could do for the site I’m working on here.

When I got home, I found myself very tired. Not having any responsibilities, I simply ate some leftovers, ran a bath, soaked and finished a book and slipped into bed following. No computer, no television. I slept nine hours. My usual “at home” was five….if I was lucky.

The book was the first one I’ve been able to complete in ages! I’m enjoying having time to read. In fact reading saves me form a boredom I don’t want to entertain.

This morning, I was obviously rested, and up and about without exercising the snooze so much. It was snowing. Hard. I got 75% ready for work, slipped on my jeans, an extra pair of wool socks, and my hiking boots. I got out my hiking jacket and took off for a walk. It was a wonderful diversion to the normal routine I’ve established here already. The old buildings looked lovely with their touch of snow.

Everyone used to ask me why I worked such long hours, often suggesting that I should let things ride and get to it when I could. I’m really glad I worked so hard. I do feel like it has brought me to being able to do what I am now. And, I couldn’t let things sit, if there was any way possible to get them done. I am here. And I am reading. And I am walking. It is all worth it.

And I still have 9 and 10 hour work days. I just don’t have a house and family to attend to right now at the end of those long days.

Enjoying the change as much as I am missing my normal.

No comments: