Sunday, May 30, 2010

Annointing of the Sick

Today at Mass, during the priests homily, a man became ill. The deacon quietly left his post and checked on the man (several others were too). The priest noted the problem and asked the congregation if he should continue or if we wanted him to stop. The group indicated it was OK to carry on. After a few minutes the Decon returned to his position to assist the Priest. The Priest indicated he should go back and he carried on on his own. The priest let us know help had been called.

I noticed the ill man was still sitting up, but not moving. Not responding to anyone. The Deacon again quietly slipped away to the cabinet where the holy oils are kept...for what was formerly called Last Rites, now Annointing of the Sick. He carried the oil up to the Priest, whispered a few words, and the Priest went to the man and annointed him.

I prayed hard as I'm sure the Cathedral full of parishioners did.

Help arrived. Very quietly, without fanfare (I've seen that several times here - nice). The gentleman finally started moving and they took him out, just in a wheel chair.

The gentleman was 90-something and his three daughters were there with him.

After it was over, the lady sitting beside me introduced herself. I'm so bad with names, I've forgotten it, but I will look her up again.

I love the parish/Cathedral here and have felt very much at home with it.

Blessings abound.

No comments: