Monday, May 31, 2010

Spring Bank Holiday

Today is the Spring Bank Holiday in England. The U.S. is celeberating Memorial Day.

I think it is an International weather pattern that Mother Nature must remind us that Summer is not yet upon us, even though we wish to pretend it is. Weather.com is reporting 8 C / 46 F and the skies are thickly grey. Rain is not falling at the moment, but appears to have done so recently and the wind has the England Football (soccer) flags gaily flying.

While I would have guessed that having three days on my own could have either been constructed of  fantastical adventures about London or achingly filled with solitude being confined to a hotel room lacking in furniture or appliances, I've used it for something I've frequently longed for: a three day weekend without a list or agenda.

I did have things to be done. Expenses, sorting my luggage for my upcoming business/holiday trip, spending uninterrupted time with my new work application, etc. I've allowed time for reading books and newspapers, watching movies, going to the cinema, sleeping late, napping and tub soaking.

I've often wished I could devote a full three-day weekend to relaxing as so many other people do. My work responsibilities for many years have tapped into at least one day of them for so many years. I'm appreciative of the time and ability to experience them now.

And Mother Nature, I think, for me, you've helped that along considerably this weekend. A perfect rainy and cold incentive to hunker down and turn inward. Thanking you.

No comments: