Monday, September 18, 2006

Beauty and the Beach

I started walking the on the beach this morning as soon as the pitch darkness gave way to the first hint of silver on the waves. I could hear voices on the beach even though no one could be seen. As I walked, occassionally I could see a lone figure or two cross my path between the town and the surf. I'd forgotten that dawn unfolds rather than "ta da-ing" its way into the day. I walked in the soft sand out and surf sand back. I don't like walking at the water's edge when I can't see exactly where I'm stepping next. It was the perfect tickle breeze temperature.

Tonight, after work, I practically ran back.

I walked the along the tide line for about 3 miles. I just wrestled with the water letting my mind wander. I listened to a mystery on my iPod (I can't just sit still on the beach and read). Awhile after turning back I suddenly turned around. Behind me was the most beautiful sky I'd ever seen. It was purple. Not sapphire, not sunset pink. PURPLE PURPLE PURPLE. I was facinated. I'd walk for a bit and turn around again. After awhile it faded into just a storm threatening grey/blue. But then the beauty was in front of me. I had moved away from the surf. The wind had created little sand dune ripples in the baby powder fine white sand. The north side of the sand was a pale pink and the backs of the ridges were a deeper pink. The contrasts and the now pink light of the sunset made for yet another facinating facet to the evening's walk.

All in all today, I did about 9 miles of walking - barefoot. My dogs are barking for sure. I opened my patio to let the surf sounds lull me to sleep. Another day in paradise.

No comments: