Monday, September 11, 2006

Caribou is Reindeer

I had Caribou for dinner tonight. It was yummy. I knew when the waiter didn't ask how I wanted it cooked that it would probably be trumpeting at my table. We went rounds on the fact that I prefer my meat medium well. Finally he relented. It was done perfectly as I liked it and I loved the meat.

Actually the whole dining experience was kind of funny. We arrived at the restaurant was asked if we had a reservation. "No". No less than a dozen empty seats faced us. Before we were seated the lady asked us to wait a moment while she inquired if the couple behind us had a reservation. Then we were led to a teeny table right next to the kitchen, that in order to be seated, a potted tree needed to be moved. Then horror of horrors we ordered water.

The funniest part, before the "how done can I get it" scene was the Laurel and Hardy round about the Caribou. I asked what the caribou meat was like. My question's intent was to inquire about the meat e.g. buffalo is lean, deer is gamey, elk is, etc. You guessed it, the waiter's reply was "Caribou is Reindeer".

No comments: