Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Mount St. Helens

It's been a few years since I did this hike. It was the 2nd hike I'd ever gone on. I thought I was going to die. I didn't fall or anything, but I was tired and I literally bruised my butt crawling down every boulder.

I sent an email note to my friend this week who got me started hiking and was the patient soul who carried my pack down for me that day. I told him about all the hiking I'd done this year, including Timpanogos and thanked him for his patience. I got a sweet note back.

Reminiscing, I looked up the Mount St. Helens trail stats and aboutlaughed my no longer bruised butt off.

9 miles round trip, 4 of which (2 in and 2 out) are forested. That leaves 2.5 miles up and back of the rock stuff. Granted the rock stuff is equivalent to a couple of Timp Cave trails but - that's doable.

Timp was 18 miles round trip - St. Helen's 9? A piece of cake.

How one's perspective changes as time marches on.

No comments: