Sunday, March 04, 2007

At Which Point In Time

My iPod recently died and through the warranty replaced with a refurbished one (my choice) that died, appropriately within blocks of Best Buy, unfortunately within a few weeks of receiving it.

Best Buy, being really great people, decided to not go through the 3rd replacement requirement before invoking their "new one off the shelf" policy. Coooooool. I now have a 80 gig video iPod.

But in all of that do and redo dance, I lost track of what audio books I had listened to and which ones I had not. When one isn't cracking the cover of a book open a dozen times, at least with me, I forget titles. But, apparently not the story line, nor exactly where I was when I was listening to it.

At Risk, Patricia Cornwell: This one I listened to extensively while I was walking along the beach in St. Augustine. I spent many hours walking up and down the beach (refer the blog about my natural pedicure). The instant I started listening again, not only did the storyline come back to me instantly, but also the venue where I heard it. Amazing.

Break No Bones, Kathy Reichs: Provo Aquaduct Hike. I remember the rocks, the turns, the big tube, the heat, even what I wore that day. So flipping amazing.

The really amazing thing about this, for me, is that I have always been able to be moved by simple things and to be able to conjure up my "happy" hideouts. That is what has so many times led me to be so passionate about events that other people just take for granted. I can be happy traveling to Timbuktu because there a strawberry breathed llama gave me a kiss. Making a grilled cheese sandwich with someone. A first kiss. A socked foot touching the small of my back. Hidden confetti. The texture of a shirt. The electricity of a moment in time.

Isn't this a wonderful gift?

No comments: