Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It's Hard To Be Green

I'm really trying to do my part to be Green this week and it is really, really hard. I bought a push mower a couple of years ago. Not because my postage stamp sized yard cost me a fortune in gas to mow, but because it would be good exercise and well, unconventional (yes, my middle name).

Now the mower has been well loved and is in need of a sharpening. I don't want the grass blades yelling at me for unnessary pain caused by ripping them by their roots. And...the thing doesn't push well when it's pulling and not clipping.

Can I find a sharpening service? No. Do I want to drive to SLC with a push mower sticking out of my baby trunk? No. Do I want to drive to SLC for a blade sharpening? No. Are we just buying new mowers when the blade goes dull? I hope not!

The service aspect of possible places that might sharpen blades is lacking: Yesterday: Place #1 doesn't do sharpening, recommended place #2. Place #2: 3 calls, 3 messages, no return call. Today place #3, today, disconnected. Place #4: doesn't do that and can't recommend another place. Place #5: I found after patiently waiting for 9am to roll around (I learned that lesson yesterday after trying to call at 8am), is pen 10am-7pm, and I can't leave a message for them to call me because they flat out say they don't check it.

On goes the quest.

2 comments:

Mama Durf said...

Maybe try (or perhaps youalready have) an Ace hardware store? I know our Ace not only fixes lawnmowers, but sharpens them too....just an idea (Better yet, disconnect the blade and bring it with you - robert can probably get it sharpened for you - LOL :)

Teri said...

Ace is the place!!!

Taking a lawn mower blade through airport security would be a hoot though!