Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Road Rose Up To Meet Me

I've noticed lately that once the Camino was that thing that I did and now I marvel how it has become, me and mine. Almost an appendage. I am it and it is I.

One gal, whom I envy, went back and stayed. Here's something she shared this week:

...She gave me Benedetti, in Spanish. No te salves.
Here you have it, then. Below. Treat number 2, as I've just googled it. A quick look hasn't yielded a translation I love, but this is my favorite, transcribed below. No te salves.
No te salves/Don't Save Yourself by Mario Benedetti
Don't stay motionless by the roadside
don't freeze joy or love halfheartedly
don't save yourself now or ever
don't save yourself
don't become serene
don't keep only a still corner in this world
don't let your eyelids droop heavy like judgements
don't stay without lips
don't sleep without dreams
imagine you're bloodless or judge yourself in haste
but if
after all you can't help it
and you freeze joy
and you love half-heartedly
and you save yourself,
become serene,
keep a still corner in the world
let your eyelids drop heavy as judgements
and stay without lips
and sleep without dreams,
imagine yourself bloodless,
judge yourself in haste and
stay motionless by the side of the road
and you save yourself
then don't stay with me.

Amen sister, amen.

No comments: