Saturday, May 26, 2007

Cooking Together

I was brooding a bit tonight. I haven't cooked much lately. It's too much work. It is much easier to have cheese (good cheese) and crackers with a glas of wine or grab something to-go from the Indian or Sushi (yes, sigh, I'm hooked) restaurant and nosh on it for a week.

Tonight I was thinking about how much I LOVED cooking with Paul. We always did it together - he was such a good cook and I'd "assist". He could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear when it came to food. The first time we ever "got together" I'd invited him over for leftovers. We'd worked late, I knew he was somewhere behind me on the highway and I pulled off and he followed me home. Intead of stuff out of storage containers we (OK, he) pulled together this wonderful fish dinner. (I didn't know I had fish in the freezer - shrug).

He asked to cook for me for our first "date" - when he asked if we could be a couple.

We always did it together. It was always an event - never a chore. I miss that. I miss it a lot.

I wanted fish today - I ended up with grocery store sushi out of hunger - but.... I have fish thawing for fish tacos tomorrow. I made a lime sauce tonight to use in the tacos (I so can't stand 1) fried fish in a fish taco and 2) regular salsa) - so the flavors will come together. And I made a marinade to use for the fish before/as I cook it.

And....since I'm alone - it very well may become breakfast rather than dinner.

I'm evolving. I am I am.

No comments: