Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Please, For Me!

All, Yesterday morning as I let myself into my office and heard a woman calling for help. It was the wife of one of our employees. Her husband, an early shift employee with some health issues, hadn't called her on his arrival at work. Not having his call, she attempted to call him and not reaching him, came to the office. How she got in, we may never know.

I finally located her voice and found her, with her husband, my co-worker, in her arms. I called 911 and then my manager, who amazingly floated to my side seemingly seconds later. We tried to revive him and traded off doing CPR. My manager, also an LDS Bishop, gave our colleague a blessing (customary here).

My point to this story is not to tell you about my week - it is to pass on a request of mine. I do this because he could have been YOUR spouse, your child, your friend, MY daughter, my brother, my grandchild, my friend. I want you to know and have these things:

1) Take a CPR course.

2) If by the grace of God you haven't had to use your skill, and your certification expires, RE-CERTIFY! Don't put yourself in a position of wondering if you might not be able to do it. Know it, do it, do it right.

3) Have a GOOD and comprehensive first aid kit created - in your home and at your business. Know where it is. Replace used items promptly.

4) Put a GOOD first aid kit in your car and a heavy blanket or two. (I've had to use these in other incidents).

5) Have your emergency information available so you don't have to think about it. Have your address posted - either as a business card or note near your phone.

5) Be prepared so you don't have to think - you only have to do. IT WORKS!

I tell you this because all of these things were in place for me and it made it very natural and easy to help. I don't want you to wonder if you could have done more, if you should have done it differently. I want you to be prepared. I want you, without having to think, to be able to deal with whatever comes your way.

Because I love you.

No comments: