Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Who Would Have Thought?

Tonight, my girlfriend and I want to the movies. I'm stuck on this movie thing right now because it is across the street from my hotel. Talk about a big screen in (near) one's room.

I'm "working" in the town where my one of my forever-best-friends lives. Another bonus to my travels. Anyway....

We're doing the "dinner and a movie" thang. She opts to buy dinner. She tells the gal taking our order that we've been friends for 36 years.

This to me is just facinating and AMAZING...36 years!

We were 12 when we started hanging out and here we are still and again. We were Osmond and Sherman and Cassidy fans. We laughed on the phone Friday nights when the Brady Bunch was on. We ran with same bad crowd of boys. Back then we didn't have corkscrews in our luggage or purses - the bottles of booze were the best variety of screw tops we could get someone to buy for us...Boones Farm, Annie Green Springs and one other I forget. Later we traveled from state to state to visit each other. One visit to her home in Nebraska, my mother thought I wouldn't return. I was miserable in my marriage, tired of being hit and I was out of the house. Safe. Having fun. Enjoying our kids playing together. Mom was right, I almost didn't leave. Now today, we're still having fun. Watching our kids crank out grandkids. Still hanging out. Just like we always did. We don't miss a beat.

No comments: