Sunday, July 08, 2007

Esperanza

A couple of decades ago, my husband and I, and a bunch of our church teens took off to Tijuana to help build homes. The program is much different than Habitat for Humanity. It was the hardest 10 days of labor I have ever done and the most enriching time of my life. I have unsuccessfuly searched the web a few times - trying to locate the sponsoring group.

Today I found them:

http://www.esperanzainternational.org/partners/mexico.asp

I'm planning my adventures for next year. This is a fabulous way to go and give back at the same time. I've contacted them to find out as a sigular volunteer (vs a church group), how I can schedule my time.

Yes hauling rocks (not gravel) to make cement, digging foundations with a shovel, bending rebar with a tool (not a machine) and oiling roof tile molds (used motor oil), hefting cinderblocks, is a life-changing experience. I distinctly remember the water conservation awareness chant: if its yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down. And, there are still those little angels waiting for me in that store.

I must go back. I must do it again. How very, very, very wonderful it would be, again.

No comments: