Monday, February 18, 2008

Beyond "Last Year"

I watched my daughter and her fiance this weekend and particularly when they were curled up on the couch watching a movie with me. I observed the murmurs of conversation between the two of them and the physical and emotional joined-at-the-hip-ness that was ever-present during his visit.

Watching, thinking, remembering. Time, dates, pangs of sorrow. It's been a year.

I don't ever feel lonely until I put today against the measuring stick of last year. I so loved our time and haven't misplaced a single moment. It was too sweet to allow it to become trivialized.

Gratefully, time softens things. Tomorow, literally, takes it beyond "last year". Now and then evolve to two new definitions. "Now" can no longer be heavy with loss and "then" must move to being simply a point in time.

No comments: