Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Vaya Con Dios Padre Jose Maria

I was saddened to learn today that Father Jose Maria has passed away.

He was the tiny, ancient priest who served us garlic soup in San Juan de Ortega. With the help of another pilgrim (from Kentucky no less) who was proficient in Spanish, I was able to thank him for the work he had done in reviving the Camino so that perigrinas like me could have the experience that I was having. He was instrumental in bringing an almost languished pilgrimage route back to life.

The refugio was the coldest, dirtiest, nearly most detestable place on the trip. (I would not shower there as after walking all day I was still cleaner than the shower stall.) But it was THE place to stay. It is where I really got to know Jurgen after meeting him in a park the day before (this picture was taken by Jurgen), it was where I got to see the column cornerstone where Mary and the others turn their head toward Jesus each equinox. It was an unforgettable day in my life. And he was part of it.

Padre - tell my San T'Iago hola for me por favor!

1 comment:

Mama Durf said...

He looks like he was a kind and gentle man. How sad.