Friday, December 28, 2007

My Valentine Monologue - v1

Halloween > Christmas
Christmas > Valentine's Day

And somehow Thanksgiving and New Years still happen while overshadowed by the highly profitable gimme holidays. (I don't have turkey socks, nor do I have New Years socks and February 15, I'll don my St. Patrick's day socks).

This is not a diatribe about Valentine's Day. Rather it is a recollection and collection of joys and observations.

I don't recall a "bad" Valentine's day. I do recall solo holidays. On these, the girls and/or girlfriends have rallied to fill the testostrone void. And Im' sure there are those years, classified as "less memorable" that have fallen by the wayside of my ever elevating count of years on this planet.

I'm all for the "event" rather than the Kay, Jared, or Tom Shane approach. For me the time with my "significant other" and what memories we create is what I like. Don't get me wrong - jewelry is important to me - but I'm more impressed when it is attached to its own memorable event and not this commercial one.

Memorable: 1980 or '83 - A big cardboard sheep with "Ewe's not fat, ewe's just fluffy" Sharpie'd on it. (I was very pregnant - but can't remember which kidlet), Hershey Kisses and Rhubarb Pie - circa 1985. You light up my life - circa 1986 and 2007.

I've loved four men in my life. And in reading what I just wrote, there's one over the top, outstanding Valentine's day for each. How appropriate.

No comments: