Friday, December 28, 2007

My Valentine Monologue - v3

I Love You

The two most profound times of hearing this were from the two men that I've loved that I didn't marry. Irony in play I'm sure. (Not that my husband's didn't make bells and whistles go off - they did too.)

Hearing D say this to me for the first time, after knowing him for nearly 15 years, was just amazing. I wasn't sure I'd really heard it. And yet, I knew, it had been on his lips for a long, long, long time.

The most amazing, and still startling for me to think about it, was when SweetStuff and I first exchanged the sentiment. Blurted? We were handing off a glass or something and both said it to each other at the very same time. This wasn't one of those staring into each other's eyes and it rolling out - it came out as easy and normal sounding as saying "thank you". And we both picked the same exact instant to have it "pop" out. We then stared at each other, laughed a lot (I think he snorted), and realized the dynamic had instantly changed...but on very equal footing.

I'm a lucky girl - that's for sure.

No comments: