Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Flags At Half Mast

Flags are being flown at half mast here in Utah in recognition of President Hinkley's passing. At first I was irritated....the whole separation of church and state thing (it is businesses and not government buildings that I know of). I tried to recall if they flew low for the Pope's death. then I took time to really think about it before I engaged my lips into any nonmeaningful dialog.

Hinkely, the Pope, the Dalai Lama - all really have more influence over more people than the President of the United States or other governments' leaders. These are individuals who lead with heart from the heart and lead by a deep moral code and exemplary (we trust) example.

So I will think of President Hinkley and he how he tried to teach the world his faith and also tolerence of others' faiths. I will extend my Catholic prayersfor my Mormon friends and extended families who are without a familiar leader and hope that President Hinkley's passage is light and safe and joyful and everything he believed it would be. Godspeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the mindset that I have adapted. If we can agree that it is a heart thing, than love is what we are remembering. If government wants to remind and honor love, then let them do it more often. His passing was # 1 or # 2 story on the local news here in LA...still gets secong billing to Barry coming on Valentimes day in most lovers eyes.

Teri said...

OK, you've got my attention!