Sunday, January 06, 2008

I Can Do Anything

I didn't realize that 1998 was such a pivotal year. But everytime I see/say the the "8", things start rolling around in my head. I'm blogging it to get the ahhh /cranky out once and for all. One thing can't be changed and the other, while sentimental, is old news and laurel-ized and is in need of a new mouse trap.

The two things stand out and collide on the same day. It's hard to state which has had the most impact on me. Let's start with 5am in the morning.

Robert decided to take me up on my ultimatum of getting our finances solvent again or facing divorce, by moving out. He chose, despite my pleading to pick "any other day", to leave on the day of my first ever and very important speech/presentation. (And he diligently packed on my birthday a few days before - barbing me with the fact had I not done this "to him" I would have gotten his surprise of a trip to San Francisco.) He was later surprised when I filed for divorce and more surprised that I did not withdraw it. So at 5am, I watchecd the tail lights of his pickup and rental trailer head down the steet. I never saw him again.

Later in the morning, despite him leaving, I gave the "Bunny Slipper Buying" presentation at the PN-ANCAM conference, where I implored the member's papers to consider getting their Classified Ads on the World Wide Web or be left behind in the mad rush for advertising dollars (now even Google does word ads on the Web and I host them). I pulled it off without a flaw. My publisher preceeded my speech and stayed through it. Looking up and seeing him smiling and nodding was nerve wracking and encouraging. Most of my consituents refused to leave for a break and my time was extended to discuss the topic.

This was the day that I learned I could do anything. (Mom helped up to then :-) I learned that no matter what, I could go on.....today would continue, tomorrow would come, and despite it all, I would get through it....scathed and all.

Hello 2008 - goodbye 1998!

1 comment:

Mama Durf said...

Glad you have finally come to this realization...I have suspected it for a long time! :)