Friday, August 03, 2007

How High is High?

How do you know that you're cared for? Go to dinner with a couple of guys from work and watch them fuss and worry about you. These aren't dating guys - they're co-workers (one a long time friend) that have taken me under their wings and fuss about who I see and what new crazy adventure I'm planning to embark on. Both took me out to dinner last night as a trip celebration - I won't be in town the next time either of them will be.

After I went through the whole camino intinerary (I took my maps) - one began to worry about the mountains I would be crossing - there are 5 ranges I will cross. I thought one was perhaps 7000 feet (turned out to be 1540 meters or 5000 feet). He was worried because that was higher than where I lived.

Yes, but I reminded him that I'd done Timpanogos last year (with the other dinner guest) and that was 11,700 feet in altitude. But but but, he said, that wasn't for 18 miles in a day. Yes it was. :) At that Pat and I high-fived. It took us two years to conquer that damned peak.

After I got home I checked the highest point on the camino and the altitude is about 5000 ft. But...there is the fact that the "valleys" won't be 4000 feet as they are here - they'll be sea level. So...yeah there will be peaks and valleys - but when isn't there?

I love the fact that I have all these big brothers looking after me. Now if I could only get them to carry my pack for me for the 500 Camino miles :)

No comments: