Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I Don't Get It

There was a note stuck on my door about a boy doing an Eagle Scout project (major boy requirement here in Utah). His project was to assemble hygiene kits. He was asking for something like $4 for each one and his goal was to make 150.

I called him up. I travel for my work and have a box or two of shampoos, soap, mouthwash, etc. that I've schleped home from the hotels. Some is darn nice stuff. Nicer that I would buy for myself.

He can't - he has to make them out of specially purchased merchandise. The whatever LDS church society that he's doing it for's requirement. Huh. He has to collect cash, to buy it from a church store (I'm guessing on that), and then assemble the kits.

He declined the items I have, that I hauled back with me - for just this purpose.

I'm now going to officially sound old....

First - Eagle Projects used to be a difficult, grow up the boys, think on your feet and outside of the box endeavor. It required blood, sweat, tears and acquiring the skills to rally a community together for a CAUSE. It was not sticking notes on doors with a time indicated where they would return to collect cash, to buy church sponsored supplies to give to whatever need was determined by the church. This is paint by number and I think it's a shame.

Grumble, grumble

1 comment:

Stephen Ratkovich said...

If only they could make these organizations more like a video game. I bet a lot more kids would be interested in reaching a "high score" rather than "beg for the most money."