Saturday, August 18, 2007

Taking Care Of Business (Or Trying To)

I'm trying to get all my bills scheduled to be paid while I'm gone. The Internet is a wonderful tool for this. I made my payments this month and I scheduled my best guestimates for next month.

I'm a conscientous person and try to think ahead. But not everyone appears to care that this is the case. A couple of stories.

The first story is about a major credit company that requires all expenditures put on the green card to be paid each month. I have a couple of auto charges (can you say STARBUCKS and another) that come up each month. I just traveled and my expenses have already been reimbursed - so I wanted to pay that too. My payment due date for August just past and I'd already paid that. Now said green card company, on line, would allow me to pay for the outstanding amounts (remember I technically have a zero balance), but would not let me pay the little extra that I know will pop up between now and the next billing cycle. I was on put on hold off and on and talking to India for about half an hour. And in asking about what then happens if I have charges while I'm in Spain and can't get to a computer to pay my next bill. ....the conversation went like this.... your credit is fine, charge what you want. OK, but what if I do and I can't get to a computer to pay it next month? OK, no problem, just call the toll-free number. I won't be where the toll free number works. OK, no problem, you have good credit. Yes I do until I don't make a payment on time. What can I do if I have charges and the billing period closes? OK, no problem. How much will you be spending? I don't know. It could be for a pair of shoes or an airplane ticket or a hotel if I get tired of bunking with 40 stinky people. OK, no problem, just call us at the toll free number and we'll work with you. I can't use the toll free number - I'll be in Spain and I don't know exactly how well the phone will work because I'll be walking in the fields, amongst the bleating sheep. Longer story - not as interesting. I did find out that my billing period will be OK. But since I can't over pay the final result - I'm scheduling the payments through my bank. They'll send anything I ask them to.

Also - tis the season for auto and life insurance renewals. I call them trying to get the amount that I owe and make arrangements to pay them. Again, everyone is really nice. Oh I don't think there will be a problem. I'd feel better if I took care of it before I left. Don't worry about it - we'll send you a statement closer to the date. But if you send me a statement I'm not going to be there to pay it. Can you give me the amounts for this coming year and I'll just send it in? Well no, I don't have those yet, they haven't been generated. Can you generate them? No, I can't, but we'll send you a statement. But I won't be there to get it. Oh you'll be OK - we give you a window, after any stated dates, before we take any action. OK - so when I come home I'll be able to use my car without getting ticketed AND if I die on this trip - my kids won't get cheated - right? Oh absolutely! Have a good time!

Check back in October and see if I've started walking to work, have nothing for my children to remember be by, and if my credit scores have taken a nose dive. :o)

1 comment:

Jules said...

I have been assured by ahem, a certain green card company, that with my credit one missed payment will not be reported to anyone, including themselves. :)

You couldn't screw up your credit in a month if you tried! LOL

Jules