Thursday, August 09, 2007

My Joyce Friends

I have two stories to tell.

Joyce - I was trying to find a bar of shampoo to take on my trip. I thought Burts Bees made one (they do - ugh). I was shopping for it at the health food store. The clerk was trying to give me all kinds of ideas other than the bar of soap. (I have the alternative, I wanted to try this route.) I finally told her why I was looking for this specific type of item. She looked at me and asked me a direct question to which was the El Camino de Santiago. She told me she'd read about it and knew of it. Blah blah blah, etc., she's Catholic (longshot in Utah), blah, blah, blah, etc. She ended the conversation giving me a blessing. I treasure this.

Joyce - I've met up with this one twice when I've been out walking. The last conversation we had was about a book I was reading....while walking (yes, I had the iPod going too). We'd talked about the book and I'd promised to let her read it when I was done. That was a month or so ago. I did a later walk tonight and bumped into her again. We walked to my house and I got her the book. I asked if she'd like to sit and we started chatting. She's LDS, but her entire family is EVERYTHING else. She'd asked if I was Catholic - she saw the Crucifix in my living room. (Thanks D!). We talked about Faith. All of her relative's and our own. She shared with me an experience her brother had and one that she had at age 13 following the death of her father. Having been reared in an athiest family I'm amazed that she is so open to so many ways of believing.

Both experiences were amazing. I can't believe how people are feeling about what I'm taking on...they take it to their hearts. I'm so glad I'm doing this, for me, and for everyone that needs it.

No comments: